Wednesday 15 February 2012

The Aftermath of Valentine's Day

R had been looking forward to Valentine’s Day since February 1st.  We’d been listening to him recite lines from a Charlie Brown Valentine for 2 weeks.  “Maybe next year I’ll get a whole bunch of valentines.”  There have been many times over the years when R would repeat that line standing amongst a group of friends/parents.  Talk about your really, REALLY awkward pause until I would blurt out “Oh, that’s a line from a Charlie Brown Valentine” followed by a nervous ha ha.  Oish. 

In the last 3 or 4 years, R has gotten very excited about taking in treats/gifts to give out.  But since he’s been in high school…the packaged Valentine’s cards really don’t come into play anymore.  Rats…life was so much easier when a $4.99 box of cards could cover everyone.  So instead I go out in search of individually wrapped chocolates for him to give out.  Not wanting to leave anyone out…I search the school’s website for the names of the Learning Centre staff that I think work with R as well as try to remember R’s favourite “girl friends”. 

I go over the names the night before and again in the morning.  I make a note in R’s communication book so that his SEA (Special Education Assistant) can help him give out the chocolate roses as well as e-mail the Learning Centre teacher.  That should cover all the bases.  Just to be on the safe side, I pack a few extras.  

R comes home sans any chocolates.  Great.  Things must’ve gone smoothly although strangely enough, I never heard anything from his teacher who usually lets me know when R takes anything in.  Apparently both his SEA and teacher were away on Tuesday.  We’re not quite sure who he gave the chocolates to but it appears he handed them out randomly although he did manage to give some to his favourite “girl friends”. 

Maybe next year I’ll write a list for him.  D 


No comments:

Post a Comment