Monday 9 July 2018

Summer "Home" School...Day 1


So today was the first day of Riley World’s summer “home” school. 

As you can imagine he was thrilled.  As was I.

Not sure why I do this to myself.  Oh yea…don’t want to lose my Awesome Autism Mom certification. 

I got everything set up on the kitchen island.  I even cleared it all off so it looks like I have somewhat of a cleanish kitchen. Just don’t look in the background when you watch the video.  Yes.  There is video.  But only of the first part because I couldn’t manage the camera and “modelling” at the same time. I have limitations. 

For the last 12 weeks or so, Riley has been making grilled cheese sandwiches at his program once, sometimes twice, a week.  Transferring or generalizing skills (being able to do something he has learned in one place and being able to do it in a different place) doesn’t happen automatically in Riley World. Because of course it doesn’t. So, we have to try and replicate the skill at home.  Only sometimes with different equipment.  Hmmmmm…perhaps the sandwich maker wasn’t such a great idea?!?!? 

Anyways…I was told about Riley’s “buttering” skills when he first started.  Basically, he would glob some butter in the middle of the piece of bread and dab at it. So they had been working on his “spreading” skills. Be sure to take note. This is after a number of weeks.  I am hopeful we will get to the edges by the end of the summer. 

So without further ado…I give you “Grilled Cheese Sandwich Maker 101…Take 1.” 


If you don't see the video...click here to watch.

Oh and as soon as I turned off the camera the “You STUPID lady! That grilled cheese is STUPID!  This is so STUPID!  Heeeey…that’s not nice to say stupid.” dialogue started up.

So. Much. Fun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment