Monday 20 May 2019

The Journey to the Jam Sandwich

For the first decade or so of Riley World, when we were learning how to navigate this thing called autism, we pretty much walked on egg shells. It was hard for us to understand why or how so many things could cause such chaos in Riley World.

So, SO many things.

Things like a change in food packaging or when McDonald’s white bags were suddenly brown bags or it’s summer now so wearing a parka is perhaps not the best choice or when the power goes out and the clocks aren’t synced anymore so you need to remind everybody that THE CLOCKS ARE WRONG!!!

I need to stop. I’m starting to twitch.

We first started Operation IFO (Increase Food Options) in September 2013. Yes we’ve been at it for almost 6 years. Ok so not consistently but still...Six. LONG. YEARS. 

I made this video montage in the early days of Operation IFO. When there was a lot of table banging, whining and complaining. 




As I watched this the other day, I realized how far Riley has come and that maybe it is me who is still the traumatized one. Maybe he's ready to try new foods. Maybe he's even excited to try new foods. Ok...maybe not. 

But look what happened when I decided to try a jam sandwich this weekend. Doesn't it look tasty...I cut off the crusts and everything.

And yes...I recorded it for you.



I was all prepared to have to negotiate for him to eat 1 piece. Do wonders ever cease?!?!? 

It has been a journey. 


2 comments:

  1. I love when he looks down the straw in the first video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...me too!! Gotta tell ya...it took a LOT of restraint not to react. :D

      Delete