Tuesday 28 April 2020

W is for Wallpaper

Have you ever wallpapered?  Growing up my parents never did.

I think there is/was a time and place for wallpaper. 
I think there are good reasons to wallpaper. 

I went through a phase where I liked to wallpaper. It started with the boys’ rooms. Before J2 was born, I painted the top half, wallpapered the bottom and put a border right through the middle.

When Riley was born and we moved J2 into the other room, I painted the bottom half, wallpapered the top and put a border right through the middle.

When I was updating our powder room, I wallpapered two different patterns and put a piece of wood moulding right through the middle.

I had a theme going on.

And let’s not forget ceiling borders. Popular back in the 90’s. And still around today in homes where the owners are too lazy to take it down because they never painted to the top of the moulding because it was easier not to and now they can’t take it down because that would mean having to paint the entire room which they probably should but are now too old and hoping ceiling borders will make a comeback.

Another good reason to wallpaper is when the DIY “handyman” of the house decides it can’t be all that hard to drywall, tape and mud a downstairs bedroom. Textured wallpaper comes in particularly handy in this case as it can hide any “flaws”. Sort of. Maybe. Not really. But it was a downstairs bedroom and any walls were better than 2x4’s.

This downstairs bedroom was used as a guest room and as a bedroom by both J1 and J2 before they moved out for good.

It has since become Riley’s space. We set up his laptop in there so we can see him run by, between his bedroom and downstairs, every so often throughout the day.

Apparently, Riley is more in tune with home decorating than we are and decided a change was needed. As you know he is more an “actions speak louder than words” kinda guy. 

I wish I could blame this on self-isolation but this was taken just before Christmas.

There was obviously a "loose" seam.

These were taken around the time that we started social distancing. 

Same wall as above only obviously there were more "loose" seams. 

Oh...and the other wall. 

Harder to pick at the seams when you have to balance on top of the hide-a-bed. 


He tried to "hide" some of the evidence in his computer desk. 

Just to be clear, Riley is more than happy to be home. As much as I’d like to blame this on COVID-19…that would be a lie. Am I upset??  15 years ago…I would have been. Today, can’t say I blame him, I’m sick of that wallpaper too.

No comments:

Post a Comment