Monday 11 March 2013

Thanksgiving in March?!?!?

Image from MorgueFile
We have all heard of Christmas in July so why not Thanksgiving in March?!? A couple of things happened last week that just gave me the warm and fuzzies all over. As a warning...this post is very high in sugar.

G was away on a golf trip so I had been on vacation too doing the single parenting thing. No. This was not one of the things I was thankful for. Although *tapping chin*...never mind. Granted it is hardly single parenting when your sons are almost 19 and 20 years old and it is only for one week.

Now typically when your kids reach a certain age they become somewhat self-sufficient and able to fend for themselves. I am not talking anything major here just simple things like staying at home alone for a short time or making themselves something to eat. Surely by the time they are ready to leave high school these things will happen. Right???

Image from MorgueFile

Scrreeeeeeeecchhhh!!!!!!!  Not so fast.

In Riley World the word typical does not exist. When in doubt I substitute the word unique. For example Riley has unique behaviours; unique language skills; unique interests. If you are unsure what I am talking about you can click on any of those red words for further explanation.



Back to why I was all warm and fuzzy last week. Now I am sure you have all read about my Zumba experience this past month right?  *sigh*  Red words again people. Go ahead. I will wait. *tap, tap, tap...*

With J2 working, leaving Riley at home by himself was not an option. No problem. I was not that heartbroken to have to miss exercising. My girlfriends thought otherwise. Damn them.  :)  Now both their sons have gone to school with R since kindergarten. Being typical teens they were off working/playing sports so not around this particular evening. However one younger sibling (who we shall call Bee) was. Now R had never really met Bee yet Bee was willing to come “hang out” with R for the hour. Apparently Bee was a little nervous but only after his older brother (R’s age) Zed (cuz I am Canadian) was giving him “helpful hints” on how to interact with R. “Don’t ask him too many questions at once? You’ll confuse him. Only ask him one thing at a time.” Awesome right???  I am happy to report that everything went smoothly as in Bee only saw R once as he whizzed past him on his way to his room. Ha!

The second feel good came when I was trying to book a haircut for myself. I was able to get an appointment for Saturday before Gary got home. Again the Riley factor came into play. My hairdresser (who happens to be a good friend and parent of a peer of R’s from elementary school) replied with this email:  Please know that Riley is always welcome! I have the TV in the Salon and I can turn it on. Just let me know how I can make it enjoyable for him.” 

SEE…do I have awesome friends or what!!!

Unfortunately not all things were warm and fuzzy. Sometimes reality bites you in the butt when you least expect it. I heard some news that took the wind out of my sails for a bit. I had some tears, a few awkward moments over dinner Saturday night and immersed myself in Candy Crush Saga for the rest of the weekend. Curses Flannery for turning me on to this game!!!

Although I had one less hour to regroup (thanks to DST) I am even more aware and thankful for good friends/family, I will still buy green bananas and yes I am even thankful for my Magnificent Middle (aka muffin top and back fat).  :)

Here is one of my favourite quotes by T.H. Thompson and John Watson:
“Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.”

Have yourself a great week!


4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that quote.

    I had so much fun reading this! lol (i clicked on the red letters and read those too lol) How awesome that you got to have such a week. (not the latter part :( )
    The red words had me cracking up! omg hubs and I have made up words for the words we aren't allowed to use lmao!! Thank the training in the military for teaching me the phonetic alphabet. Tom and I spell things using it lmao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite quote too!

      Life is always exciting in Tommy/Riley World right??? :D Dang...wish G & I knew the phonetic alphabet better. What a great idea!

      Delete
  2. Glad you got to get out! I'm sure your hair looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually *whispering* enjoy a week here and there by myself (well with R) as long as there is nothing that "needs" to be done. Quite relaxing. :D

      Delete