Thursday 9 July 2020

THE Best Mushroom Rollups

Not everyone who reads my blog follows me on Facebook so you may be wondering why I would suddenly decide to post a recipe.

Well…my niece, who has been living abroad for almost 2 years, is coming home tomorrow. Due to the pandemic, she will be in quarantine/self-isolation for 14 days.  I mentioned on Facebook that because I am THE best aunt EVER…I was making her a batch of her favourite Mushroom Rollups. Also, I am desperate for content for this Challenge…so a blog post it is.

I originally got this recipe from a friend back in the 80’s. It has been tweaked over the years and while a little finicky…always a hit. Enjoy!

MUSHROOM ROLL-UPS

1 Large Onion (chopped)
2 lbs Mushrooms (roughly chopped)
¼ c Butter

8 oz Cream Cheese
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper to taste.

1.    Melt butter in large frying pan. Add onion and saute until soft. Add mushrooms and cook until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.


2.    Cut cream cheese into chunks. Add cream cheese and rest of the ingredients. Stir until the cheese melts. Let stand until cool.


3.    Once cool, using a food processor or blender, puree the mixture in batches. Consistency should be just smooth enough to spread or as “chunky” as you like.


Here’s where the finicky part comes in. In the past, I have had to pre-order the bread as I like it to be cut horizontally so you have long strips of bread. You also need to trim off the crusts.

A few years, I discovered this crustless, pre-sliced bread made by President’s Choice. BEST. THING. EVER!!!! 





4.    Remove crusts from bread (if you can not get crustless). Roll each strip of bread with a rolling pin to slightly flatten. Spread mixture to the edges and roll up like a jelly roll (from the shorter end). Wrap in saran wrap and freeze.


5.    When ready to cook, cut into slices (~1/4” wide). Brush each side with melted garlic butter and bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes (flip halfway through) or until desired crispness. Serve hot.

Voila!  



No comments:

Post a Comment