Tuesday 14 April 2020

L is for Life

I found this draft from when I used to blog. I decided to use some of it because it still rang true. Some of it was no longer relevant so I decided to delete and update that part. I was looking for a fancy term to make the last part of that sentence sound more ummmm...intellectual but, I'm pressed for time. So instead…

“L” is for Life (Revised Edition)

Did your life turn out the way you thought it would?? 

Mine sure as hell hasn’t.

I mean when I was in my 20’s I thought I would eventually marry George Clooney and forever live “The life of Riley” (no, the irony is not lost on me). Ahhhhhh to be so young and naïve. YES I KNOW THAT WAS FANTASY! 

Anyways…

Every so often I go into self-pity mode. Yup. I do. 

Let me just start by saying I know I am lucky to have a good life. I am grateful.

But….

And there’s always a but…

Yea, yea…I knew I would never marry George. My choice, of course.

In reality I had always hoped I would get married, have kids, watch our kids grow…eventually they would move out and begin their own lives, and eventually, I would care for my aging parents. Sounds pretty simple, realistic and not too far-fetched.

And then…something happens that will change every thing and every direction you thought your life would take.

Here’s where the “Revised Edition” starts.

First….George lost out BIG TIME!!

Second…raising kids is stressful, makes you doubt yourself in ways you never thought possible and yet is the most rewarding "job" I have ever had.

Third…caring for aging parents is anything but simple! Nothing prepares you for this stage in your life. NOTHING!!! 

Do I sound slightly unhinged???  THAT’S BECAUSE I AM!!!

Did I ever think I would be a caregiver for the rest of my life?  No. I did not. But that’s ok because he is my son and I love him more than me.

Did I ever think I would have to care for an aging parent who has dementia and is more childlike than my own grown children?  No. I did not. But that’s ok because she is my mother.

Did I ever think my alcohol bill would be so high??  No. No I did not. Let’s just leave it at that.

Life is unpredictable.
Life is precious.
Life is not to be taken for granted. 




1 comment:

  1. We are the sandwich generation, still raising kids but also having to care for our aging parents. I don't know which is more exhausting, but currently, I think it's my aging parent!

    ReplyDelete