Saturday 25 April 2020

S is for Sewing

I think it is pretty clear from my last two blog posts that I do NOT sew. In case you missed reading them, this is my sewing kit. 

When I was looking for a face mask to make, I specifically searched for one that did NOT require sewing. This is the YouTube video I found and used.


I was thrilled. I believe the words I used were “pleased as punch” and “giddy”.

As I was demonstrating my handiwork to the husband, I realized it was not quite as easy to put on as seen on the video. Which got me thinking (yea…nothing good ever comes from me thinking) there must be a way to tweak this to make it a little more wearer-friendly.

I thought with all my vast sewing experience mending Riley’s t-shirts, surely I could handle a few straight seams.

I decided I would run a seam along the top and bottom to keep them from rolling up when washing. Don't ask what I was thinking. I would also attach the two side strings just to the top seam. Brilliant right???

So, I pulled out my sister’s sewing machine and got to work right after my morning coffee while I was well rested and motivated.

My first attempt, the material got caught up under the needle thingy on the first press of the pedal. I tried to back and forth the hand wheel thing and pulled and pulled with all my might. That machine was not going to give up my material easily. I finally thought to go underneath and pulled out the bobbin and took my scissors to the threads. FINALLY!

Next, I needed to rethread the machine. Good gawd could they make that little hole in the needle any smaller!?!?!  Good thing I was well rested although my motivation was quickly disappearing.

I managed to get 2 masks done before the stupid machine ate the top thread. I needed to rethread the machine AGAIN!  Good thing I am more stubborn than smart. I decided to give the effin’ machine one last chance. It was at this point I decided the top seam was more than enough and the bottom seam was overkill. 

I was down to my final mask when the thread in the bobbin ran out. Good thing it was before noon because I seriously considered making a cocktail. Enough is enough. 


The finished "product". Good enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment