Sunday 26 April 2020

U is for "UVB"

I had eczema as a child and have had it on and off throughout adulthood. Usually I have been able to control it with medicated ointments.

Recently my fingers have been the target although I have dry patches all over my body. 


I have been to my doctor and tried different ointments. I wear cotton gloves at night and even during the day when at home. I use rubber gloves to wash dishes and disposable rubber gloves over top the cotton gloves when doing food prep. Still it persists.

I finally got in to see a dermatologist. We decided on new ointments and to start light therapy. Not just targeted at my hands but for my entire body.

This is the machine. Looks like a time machine of sorts doesn’t it?




Did you know you start off slowly…ten (10) seconds was the length of time for my first session.

Did you know you have to wear special goggles to protect your eyes?



Did you know you have to take off ALL YOUR CLOTHES!!  I'll spare you the visual because some things you just can NOT unsee. 

Believe me, I started to wonder if this therapy was worth the trouble. I mean, it takes me longer to undress and dress again. The time increased in 5 sec increments for the first minute. I go 3 times a week. I am now up to 1 minute and 45 seconds. I noticed a definite difference on my body after about 2 weeks so I have persevered. My fingers are still not 100% but they no longer throb and ache all the time.  


When the heck did my hands get SO old!?!?!  

Oh, and now I wear a mask in their office so I have to cover my entire face. I now look like this when I go into the booth only I have no clothes on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment